Saturday, October 10, 2009

Thomas Cafe ~ Historic District ~ Georgetown, South Carolina

After a productive morning visiting the Farmer's Market in East Bay Park we were famished. We ventured into Historic Georgetown in search of breakfast. Thomas Cafe is located on the waterfront and is a local gem. After seventy five years in business this tasty restaurant is still going strong. On this unseasonably warm October morning the place was packed. We made our way into the rear of the establishment to the only empty table. Within seconds a lovely waitress in a homemade apron appeared to get our drink order and deliver menus. After a couple sips of freshly brewed coffee we placed our orders and watched the action in the cafe. Locals read their papers and talked politics while tourist were discussing their vacation highlights, but my eyes were focused on the little kitchen window I could see from my vantage point. I enjoyed watching a group of people that seemed to love cooking.

And did I mention they are very good at it? My guys both had a huge plate of Biscuits and Gravy.The husband also had two fried eggs that were cooked to perfection. The biscuits were light and fluffy, a perfect accompaniment to the creamy sausage gravy. I normally don't eat omelets outside my home because most restaurants over cook the eggs to get the filling to the right temperature. This is not the case at the Thomas Cafe, my "cafe omelet" was the blackboard special of the day, and it was out of this world. The delicate eggs were laced with mushrooms, bacon, spinach and cheddar cheese.Normally they serve it with Swiss cheese but granted my request for a Cheddar swap without even an eye roll! As wonderful as the omelet was the grits on my plate were the showstopper. Salted to perfection, creamy yet substantial. I would swim the waterway just for those grits. Lightly browned toast completed the plate.
Not only was the food fantastic but so was the service. Our sweet waitress never let our drinks go unattended and brought fresh drinks for us to take to go. Although this was our first trip to Thomas Cafe it will not be our last...I am already dreaming of the grits in the form of shrimp and grits for my next visit.
Thomas Cafe
703 Front Street
Georgetown, Sc


4 comments:

Tiago said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bob said...

oh ...yum

Euroangel said...

yummy esp. the last one!

Laura@SouthernPirates said...

I think so too

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Enterprise Rent-A-Car